AIF is an independent economic think tank focusing on institutional investment policy. Its mission is to foster the exchange of best ideas, practices and information among institutional asset owners globally to help them achieve their investment objectives.
AIF’s target audience is the universe of chief and senior investment officers and board members of the world’s largest institutional asset owners, i.e., pension and superannuation plans and other retirement savings programs, sovereign wealth funds, insurance companies, endowments, foundations and family offices.
AIF looks first at institutional asset owners’ asset allocation decisions for their overall portfolios (both public market/”traditional” and private market/”alternative” investments). It then considers with those asset owners how they can best use private market/ alternative investments in their portfolios to achieve their investment objectives. AIF does this by collaborating with asset owners and preeminent finance academics, investment consultants and asset managers to create timely, probing and actionable content based upon their real-time needs.
AIF’s Advisory Board shapes its content and determines its membership. The Board has been chaired by Harvard Business School Professor of Investment Banking Josh Lerner since its creation in 2009. It consists of four sub-Boards:
- Investor—chaired by the Florida State Board of Administration (Florida SBA) Executive Director-CIO Ash Williams
- Academic—chaired by Harvard Business School Professor of Investment Banking Josh Lerner
- Consultant—chaired by Callan LLC Executive Vice President and Head of Alternative Investments Pete Keliuotis
- Trustee—chaired by Ohio Fire and Police Pension Plan Trustee David Heller
- Insurance—chaired by Cigna Investment Management Senior Managing Director and Head of Alternative Investments Edward Lewis and vice chaired by Zurich Alternative Asset Management Managing Director and Head of Private Equity Ferdinand Seibert